One of the biggest issues I have struggled with as 834 continues to grow is culture. How do we maintain our existing culture when adding new employees into the mix? Have we really defined culture? I mean, in my head it is perfectly clear…but isn’t that something every business owner struggles with? Are you actually communicating the shit that is swirling around in your head in a concise and clear manner?
Culture originates from the founder, entrepreneur or business owner…that means you demonstrate what the culture is every single day.
Here is 834’s core values that feed our culture:
- In the way you communicate with one another, with a superior and with a client.
- No gossiping. We take care of each other and approach issues head on.
Don’t be a jerk.
- Negativity can infest the culture of a company, by choosing to be positive, you set the foundation for success.
Get shit done.
- If a client, employee, team or the firm has an issue – how can we solve it? Not sure how? Pull another employee in and brainstorm together.
- If there is an issue, develop a solution. Complaining to complain will not be tolerated.
I thought all of this was a given, was clear to all employees…but had I every really said it? Put that shit in writing, discuss it as a team and make sure everyone has a clear understanding of what will and won’t be tolerated…oh and communicate. As a leader you need to take full responsibility for your shortcomings. If your employees are confused, you only have yourself to blame.
Craving more words of wisdom? Check out this article from Entrepreneur.com.