Mondays, am I right? Seems like I never escape one without feeling overwhelmed, stressed and pissy. I usually go home, drink a bottle of wine and reflect on all the shit I didn’t get done.
Clearly, that is a horrible approach.
Here are my tips for staying positive during the week.
- Gratitude. I try to write several thank you notes a week. Congratulating or thanking someone makes me feel good and they seem to like it too.
- Begin on a high note. I write what I am thankful for on a pad of paper each morning as I get ready. It is a great reminder of what is important and all of the truly great things happening in my life.
- Nap. I don’t do this during the week, although I might institute a new rule at 834…I do however take naps on Saturday or Sunday and it is magical. Whether you have time to nap or not, you need sleep. Studies show that adults need seven to nine hours of sleep a night. Are you getting that?
- Read. Learning keeps you sharp and I LOVE reading about history. I am currently reading a book on the rise of the Third Reich and events that took place leading up to WWII. I try to read a few chapters every night to force myself to put down the phone. Let’s just say it is a work in progress.
- Smile. Force yourself to smile and be positive. Even if you are faking it and want to punch everyone you see…smile. It will rub off on others and it might even become a habit.
Getting through the work week can be a challenge and it can feel especially lonely if you are a business owner. You have to weigh doing the right thing for the business with keeping everyone happy (not possible). Staying positive will only help.